Saturday 20 March 2010

Colouring with Distress Inks - Tutorial

I put tutorial in the title, but this is basically how I colour my images.

First off you will need 
Inks
Aqua Pen
Ink Pad
Stamp of choice
Card Stock of choice

First off stamp your image, I've used Versa Fine Black Onyx and 300gsm Watercolour paper

I'm using Tea Dye for her skin - so load the tip of the brush with the ink.
Go around the outline of her face

Then blend in working your way to the middle
Continue in the same way, loading the tip and outlining the areas that need to be coloured
Now I'm going to use Peeled Paint for her clothes - mainly her sleeves/top, dress and socks.

 

 
Again just outlining and then blending to the middle using water to bleed the colour lighter.
When you've finished and you want to add more shadow, wait till it is dry, wet, and then add the ink to add more depth
Here I've used Mustard Seed for her pinny
 

Here I've used the same technique, adding colour around the outline and blending to the middle. 
Also coloured her shoes.

For the peaches I have used Dried Marigold and added some Tattered Rose
 
For the basket I have used Walnut Stain, and just blended to the middle

 
Tilda's Hair has been coloured using Walnut Stain, Black Soot and Antique Linen

Lastly I added some Tattered Rose to her cheeks, not sure if shows up though.

Finish

I have used in total - 8 inks
Tattered Rose, Tea Dye, Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed, Walnut Stain, Antique Linen, Black soot and Dried Marigold

Thank you for popping by, any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Kimmi x

20 comments:

Janette said...

Fab tutorial,thanks for sharing this,am new to distress inks,but they seem very similar in use to watercolour pencils....x

Anonymous said...

Brill tut1 as i`m new to colouring in with distress inks, this is a great help!
love angie babe xx

Penni said...

A great tutorial Kimmi. I'll have to give this a go.

Hope your keeping well sweetie.

Hugs
Penni
X

Lizzy said...

Hi Kim ~ thanks for this fab tutorial, have wanted to try this for ages and this will help tremendously xx lizzy xx

Aunty Sue said...

great tutorial kimmi. Thanks

Sarah said...

Fabulous colouring, I have some of the ink pads and haven't used them as much as I should. This technique seems to be very popular, so going to have to dust them off. Sarah x

Jessie said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, I always wondered how it worked :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for this! Great tutorial xx Jenny xx http://myinkyhands-jennifer.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I may give this a go when I get some re-inkers
I use copics all the time but I did used to use SU ink pads and I doo like the effect of water colours you are very cleaver

Love Dawn xx

Annette said...

Brilliant think i'll have a go you've made it look easy. Thanks sandra x

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Kim
A fabulous tutorial,thankyou you havd inspired me to use my distressed inks now,
hugs Dianne xx

Macpurp said...

oh this is really good, i have not got used to colouring with the inks yet but i love the result.

love tina x

Larissa said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I love the look of distress inks and I really want to learn to colour this way!

Hugs,
Larissa

Nannieflash said...

Wow Kimmi one fabulous tutorial so easy to follow and beautifully done. With love and hugs Shirleyxxx

Mina said...

fabulous clear tutorial Kimmi, brilliant...thanks for your get well wishes even the cheeky halloween one lol
Mina xxx

Anonymous said...

wow fantastic tutorial.I always wondered how to used the distress inks.your tutorial has made me want to go and by some.your coloring is so good.The image just looks so nice colored with distress inks.
xx

Dulcie said...

Fab tutorial! Well I'm just getting all excited about Copics, now here's another option that's so tantalising!! Oh I know it was sooo hard not to spend at the shop but am saving my pennies for another big Copic splurrrge...can't wait ;-) Dulcie xx

Kathleen said...

great tutorial - will add a link to it on my blog if it's ok!
kathleen mc

Jennifer said...

Thanks..that's great..very easy to follow! xx Jenny xx http://myinkyhands-jennifer.blogspot.com/

Deirdre said...

Wow, great tutorial. Love the step by step = amazing colouring.